What is Hosting and Domain
In this article we will tell you that it is exactly hosting and domain, services that, allow you to host your website on the internet under your own name tuempresa.com, read on and discover all the details.
Nowadays, websites went from being a complementary option of a business to becoming the main advertising window in any business, regardless of the item.
And it is that with the great activity that people have today on the internet, if a business does not have an online presence it simply does not exist.
This is because it has already become a habit for people to search online for the products or services they want to acquire or the opinions of the companies that offer them.
In this image you will see an example of what we mentioned, because they are the times that people look for these services a month, and this only in the city of Lima, Peru.
As today, more than ever, it is necessary for your business to have an internet presence and the first step is to buy yourhosting and domain.
Despite being a basic and mandatory step there are many people (especially those who do not have much experience on the Internet) who do not know exactlywhat is hosting and domain(much less that it is hosting reseller ), what is its definition or how they differ and they even think that they are the same thing or that the domain is also hosting, etc.
If this is your case, do not worry because if you do not know what is computer hosting and what is a domain and / or what are the differences between one and the other I will explain it in this article.
When you start a presence on the internet the questions that usually appear are: what is hosting and domain and what is it for? What does hosting mean? What is a domain?
The short answer is that hosting and domains are services that will allow you to host your business website and create and use corporate emails (@ yourcompany.com) and neglect that you do not need to have a website ready, you can use emails only if so You want it or vice versa.
What is a domain?
On the internet everywhere from the domain, what is domain? thedomain is the name that you or your brand will have on the internet, it is a name by which people will recognize you, this name you must choose, obviously you will put your name or your brand name as a domain.
If your brand or company is called “Animoral SA” your computer domain could be called “animoralsa.com” or as you see fit.
Now you know that the domain is your name or that of your company on the internet with which users will recognize you.
Parts of a Domain
The parts of a domain are as follows:
- Name:It is the name that you will place in your domain, you can put the one you like best but remember to always check first if the domain you want is free or someone else already uses it, if so, you will have to think of another name.
- Extension:The extensions serve to indicate the turn of our website, for example if it is a community, use “.net”, if it is a non-profit organization “.org”, if it is a business site “.com” In addition, there are regional domains to indicate to which country they belong, for example a Peruvian website can use “.pe” or “.com.pe”, etc.
The “www” of the Domains
The “www” that usually appear in the domains and that many people want to have in their own domains, is not part of the domain as such and any domain can have it, that is only aCNAMErecord that makes the “www” work as if It was the main domain.
If you want to have the “www” in your domain and you don’t know how, talk to your domain provider to explain how to do it, it’s very easy and it’s free.
Now that you know what a domain is, follow these tips to acquire it
If this is the first time you are going to acquire a domain, here are a series of recommendations that will help you have the perfect domain for you or your brand:
- Make alist of possible names for your domainof at least 5 names.
- Do not get your hopes up early, if you like a name first check if it is available, this tool will help youcheck if your domain is available.
- Remember that the domains are occupied only if they havethe same extension that you want to use, if you want your domain to be called “mimanzana”, the .com may be busy but not the .net or .pe, so you have alternatives to use .
- Use short and easy-to-remember names, so people will know how to access your site easily since they know the name and write it directly in the browser.
- Do not use tildes in your domain, there will be people who will be wrong to write it and you will miss those visits,only use lettersand numbers if necessary.
- Use names related to your brandand if it is possible that it is a much requested word by your customers, for example if I sell apples and my clients look for how to buy apples online, a good domain would be compratumanzana.com
- Do not spend more than the account, the first level domains (are domains that do not specify the region or country, such as .com, .net, .org, .biz, etc.) cost between $ 10 and $ 17 USD.
What is a hosting?
Now you have registered your domain, but there is a problem, when you try to access your domain through the browser it will not load anything, this is because the domain is only your name on the internet and your job is to show the files on your website in the browser , but those files need to be somewhere, but how will the domain know what to show.
This is whereHostingcomes into play , and that is that hosting (if you wonder what hosting is? What is hosting? Is an English word that means hosting) is that space on the internet where you will host your web files , such as images, text, html and css documents, videos, pdfs, etc.
That space is a specific space within a server or computer (CPU) that is configured to host websites.
Surely you have this question: what is web hosting? What does hosting mean? Imagine it was yourUSB online, there you can save everything you want (as long as space allows) and every time someone writes your domain in the browser,the domain will link to the hostingand show its content
The hosting is also responsible for storing your email messages, by the way you can buy your corporate email here .
You know what is computer hosting, now some tips to buy a Hosting
Imagine that you want to rent a place for your business, the things you are looking for in that place are a large space, that is in a very busy shopping center, that has good security, etc.
In the case of hosting is exactly the same, you have to choose ahosting that meets your needs, especially in terms of space, monthly transfer,technical support, speed and security.
For example, if you have a blog orwebsite in wordpress, the best thing would be to look for a hosting for wordpress, since they have the necessary requirements to make your wordpress work the best, from there evaluate the technical support, the amount of space to host your files, etc.
Conclusion on What is Domain and Hosting
You already discovered that it is a domain and hosting and that despite being two different things, they are two things that are always together,one needs the other to functionand that is why many people confuse them or have a wrong concept of what it is .
Now you already know what web hosting and domain are, how they differ, how important it is to know how to choose them and how necessary they are for each other.